I was looking through a friend’s pasta cookbook when I saw a recipe that used strawberries, balsamic vinegar & canned tomatoes to make a pasta sauce. I had never thought of strawberries being used in that way and was immediately intrigued.
Fast forward to several months later, I stumbled upon this article about the strawberry pasta sauce. After just buying some strawberries recently, I decided to have a kitchen experiment of my own and give it a shot.
Honestly, I had my doubts, but the result turned out much better than I expected!
Note: I didn’t measure anything.
Strawberry Pasta Sauce
- Slice up strawberries (I cut them into thirds) and cook in olive oil over medium heat
- Add balsamic vinegar. Reduce
- Add 1 can of pureed tomatoes & a bit of pasta water. Simmer.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste
- Serve over pasta with parmesan
It really is that simple. I felt it didn’t need many other spices although kosher salt & ground pepper really did help.
This is a great, quick recipe when you’re in the mood for something different!
What surprising food combinations have you had success with?